Friday, February 1, 2013

Utopia Tasting at the Pine Box

Not even a year old, the Pine Box in Seattle has been making a name for themselves. They provide patrons an impressive array of 33 beers on tap, a simple yet amazing food menu, and a great vibe for customers in the Capitol Hill area. This January, the Pine Box was kind enough to open their doors for Boston Beer Company, and hosted an intimate tasting of the following beers. Here are my notes:

Tasmania Red - 6.75% ABV
A fruity, ruby red IPA that flooded my taste buds with bitter hops and sweet grapefruit. The Galaxy Topaz hops gave this beer an interesting earthy flavor that toned down the sweet fruity taste.

Merry Mischief - 9% ABV
A miraculous beer focused for the holidays. The gingerbread sprung out with spices, following up with a hint chocolate and nutmeg, that left me warm, satisfied, and smiling. Sorry Santa, this bad boy kept Merry Mischief for himself.

Double Bock - 9.5% ABV
Double Bock had an amazing caramel flavor that matches its dark color.  A sweet and fruity flavor on the back end finished off this beer with the taster craving more.

New World -10% ABV
This triple sour gave a hint of citrus as the glass approached my lips, and did not disappoint. A light, sweet body, with a hint of a vanilla, danced on the tongue, and ended with a slight hoppy finish.

Utopia 2012 - 29% ABV
Utopia is the creme de la creme of Boston Brewing.  On first whiff, the aroma of a vanilla rum filled my nose.  It was my first time trying this amazing Rubik's cube of complexity.  I was bombarded by flavors of bourbon, vanilla, sweet sherry, and plum.  It was epic.  Each sip uncovered a new taste.

I sat down with owner Ian Roberts, from the Pine Box, for a quick interview about his current success.

BnB: What is the number one thing you love about your business?
Ian:  "Do what you love!  Man, I offer people good beer that I enjoy.  I have the opportunity to do what I absolutely love."
BnB: What is the most important lesson learned so far?
Ian:  "The people; from the staff to customers, being personable and serving their needs."
BnB: Favorite Beer?
Ian:  "The one in front of me of course!"

Cheers to you Ian for hosting!
The experience was nothing less than spectacular in the quality of beer, food and service.  Check out their website @ http://www.pineboxbar.com


The interview sets the course for our next few business articles focusing on:
  • Purpose and Passion
  • Customers
  • Co Workers


PS.  I'd also like to thank Danna from The Boston Beer Company for running the event, and educating us about the beer, on tap!  For more information about the beer visit http://www.samueladams.com

PPS.  My apologies for the lack of pictures.  I lost my phone (photographs) shortly after the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment